History & Mission
Begun in the fall of 2015, River City Community Development Center (R CITY) exists to bring together the best of our city to build a path for families to walk from cradle to career to the glory of God. R CITY serves the West Humboldt Park community, especially the 768 vibrant students of Cameron Elementary School.
A growing organization in its second year, R CITY stands upon the established local relationships of its board members, directors, staff, and the founding leaders of River City Community Church. R CITY serves its community with a commitment to walk children all the way to career, surrounding them with web of support to carry them through whatever Chicago poverty may bring.
To achieve our mission we:
1. Invest extensive program hours to build trusted relationships with youth+family.
2. Link youth+family to resources both outside and inside R CITY, including support for their success now:
- After-school enrichment = new skills
- Connections with trustworthy adults = emotional support
- In-school partnership = academic success
- Leadership experiences = new identity
their success in the future:
- Field trips = vision for future
- Scholarship fund = hope for college
- Paid apprenticeships = career readiness
and their success in crisis or opportunity:
- Connection to network of support = relationships, referrals, and resources
3. Maintain long-term relationships with youth+families, understanding their changing situations and linking to necessary resources.
AmazonSmile Foundation / Aon Foundation / Comprehensive Health Management / Kohl’s Department Stores / Minnesota Counseling / Quattro Impact, LLC / S & S Activewear
Northwestern University (Researcher in Learning Sciences) / University of Chicago (Intern in Social Service Administration)
…and many, many more.